Flies are evil b@st@rds. They are evil enough when there isn’t a heat wave, but extreme heat brings on a whole new level of evilness, no?
Bins stink. It’s part of being a bin, but the heat is making the bins extra-stinky and it’s attracting flies by the trillions. This wouldn’t be as much of a problem if my bins were at the end of a very long garden, but I live in a terraced house with a very small back-yard so my bins are well within whiffing distance – as are everybody else’s.
At this time of year there is always the danger of maggot infestations. Makes your skin crawl doesn’t it? Take it from one who knows: when you’ve battled the maggot-massive, you NEVER want to do it again!
Plus, it puts you off eating boiled rice. For ever.
The fly is Ninja fast. You’ve opened and closed your bin lid in record time, but there’s always one who’s the Usian Bolt of the fly world. It’s flown in before you know it and if it’s a female, she’ll dump around 75-100 eggs onto the bags of rotting food. The next day, you wander out in your slippers with a bag full of potato peelings and you see that some tit has thrown loose rice in your bin. This isn’t your doing. You don’t throw food in the bin like her up the road. You’re posherer. You’re just about to throw a strop when you notice that the rice is ALIVE.
You’re torn between wanting to scream in horror and not wanting to draw attention to your BIN OF SHAME because having maggots is like having nits, as in, it can happen to anybody, but nobody wants to admit to it, right? Luckily for me, I’ve got a massive manhole. NOT a euphemism! I’m referring to the manhole in my back-yard which is indeed large enough to fit a man in should I ever need to conceal a body!
I am joking, of course.
Or am I?
Got a lil maggot problem? Chillax! (are people still saying that?) I have tips!
The Maggot Slaying Kit
- A pair of Marigolds
- Hot water
- A massive bottle of industrial strength bleach
- A brush that you’ll never want to use again
- A bag to retch into
Don’t make the rookie mistake I did during the Great Maggot Infestation of 2015. I just hosed them down the drain. I didn’t kill them, innit? So some of them crawled up through the gaps in the flagstones and by ‘some’ I mean close on a hundred – all wriggling across my patio..
For the Great Maggot Infestation of 2016, I was better prepared. I par-boiled the effers in the bin with a few shots of Domestos, then I swilled em down the drain.
Want to learn more about flies?
You know you do!
1. Flies regurgitate digestive juices onto food so they can eat it. So if a fly lands on your quiche, it’s probably best to bin it. *boaks*
2. Rumour has it that flies do a poo EVERY time they land. (I’ll leave THAT one with you)
3. Flies are disease ridden arse-holes. Salmonella, E.coli. You name it, they spread it. For this reason, you should never leave food out uncovered. Not unless you want to defecate yourself dry?
4. Flies can walk upside down – coz they freakeh!
5. Flies have 360 degree vision (much like my mother) so they can see behind them. This would explain why the arseholes fly off whenever I creep up on them with a can of Raid.
6. Flies live for about 30 days, though their lifespans are shortened dramatically if they fly into my house.
7. Flies can lay up to 500 eggs in their lifetime – most of them in my bin.
8. Flies are agile and fast. That’s why you can drive yourself demented trying to swat the motherfunglers with a tea-towel.
9. Flies lay their eggs on rotting food and poo. Flies round shit, right? This is so that their offspring have something yummy to munch on when they hatch.
10. BRB – Gone to vomit.
So you see, there is much to despise about flies. Those buztards are bad news. That said, I do try to give them a fighting chance. I will open a window or a door, but if they don’t take the hint they get taken down with a tea-towel or a blast (or three) of Raid.
Meanwhile, here’s the question you’ve always wanted to know the answer to.
Why do flies do circles under your lampshade?
The flies patrol well-defined airspaces underneath landmarks like lampshades. … Male flies approach a landmark from below and, in the absence of other flies, settle to patrol an airspace close to the landmark. A second male approaching the same landmark chases, or is chased away by, the patrolling fly when it comes too close and may eventually settle to patrol 10–30 cm below the airspace occupied by the first fly. … The position of male patrolling stations relative to the landmark suggests that females might arrive at landmarks from the side (and not from below, as males do), thus crossing the dorsal visual field of patrolling males.
Source: Jochen Zeil. The territorial flight of male houseflies (Fannia canicularis L.) Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. August 1986, Volume 19, Issue 3, pp 213-219
In simple terms, it’s blokes fighting over girls up town on a Saturday night, innit?
But enough of fly mating rituals. Back to fly annihilation, yes?
Prevention is key to keep maggots at bay, so here are some tips.
Fly Control Tips
The first step in fly control is exclusion and sanitation. If your house is a massive bin, and you like to have your windows open – YOU’RE GOING TO ATTRACT FLIES! However, even if you are shit-hot with sanitation and you’d rather drown in a pool of your own sweat than open a window, you will still get the odd fly who fancies its chances, so here’s what you can do.
- If you do find a fly in the house, try to entice it out of the window or door. Life is life, right?
- Failing the humane approach, confuse the shit out of it by using two rolled up newspapers instead of one.
- If that doesn’t work, give it a murderous blast of Raid.
Now, I am so fly-aware, those arsewipes don’t have time to shit, let alone reproduce!
I take no pleasure from being the fly-finder general. I think it’s sad to watch any living thing die, but we have to remember that flies are not cutsie kittens. Or fluffy wuffy gerbils. They are nefarious spreaders of disease. They will crap on your food and make the world fall out of your arse. Or they will drive you to the brink of insanity with their incessant BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING. Plus they really know how to take the piss when it comes to picnics and BBQs. You get me?
Roll on Autumn, I say.